Sunday, March 02, 2014

Bookmarked! Guacamole with baked (in bacon!) tortilla chips

Bookmarked! 
Only three posts in on my 'bookmarked' series and I'm already cheating a little bit. Yes this recipe was bookmarked but really, only to remind me to hurry up and make some guacamole!
I really love The Food Lab, found on food website/leviathan seriouseats.com. It take two of my favourite things, namely food and scientific method and combines them. I imagine most people would learn a few new techniques from reading through, even if you think you've got your recipe sorted. I'll probably be posting more off The Food Lab, as my method for frying steak, making chicken tikka masala and more all borrow heavily from those pages. 

In this case the way I make guacamole was only slightly modified. Apparently the best way to get a good mix of chunky and smooth in your avocado it to use a whisk (who knew?) but as I already had my trusty but bloody heavy pestle and mortar out for the other bits and my washing up bowl is a pit of despair which I prefer to visit as little as possible I smashed it up in there too. Mostly what I got from the post was the importance of pounding your add-ins with salt before mixing in the avocado for all of the flavour!



Other than that, I made a couple of fairly minor changes to the recipe as linked way up there:
I swapped fresh serrano chilis for a hefty pinch of dried chilli flake and some chilli in a bottle in the form of a glug of sriracha. This is for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I have no idea where I'd go buy serrano chilis. Secondly, I was still in my pajamas. Third, I actually like the rounded heat of dried chillis and chilli sauce rather than the fresh bite of fresh. I like fresh chilli, but mine is the lazy option without actually needing to be any good at balancing your ingrediants. You're smashing it in a pestle and mortar so I think you still get a good hit, even using dried chilli
Spring onion instead of yellow onion: essentially the same reasons above. I like the flavour of avocado best, that's why I'm making guacamole, so spring onions are the perfect level of allium aggression for me My usual level of student-y cheating re not using kosher salt And that's it!


To make the guacamole for 1 avocado:
1 ripe avocado

Chilli flakes
Sriracha
Fresh coriander
1 lime

Add half a teaspoon of salt, a fat finger-thumb pinch of chilli flakes, 2 shakes of sriracha and half a small handful of coriander stalks and leaves (sorry for a weird measurement, I have no idea how normal people measure things like leaves!) to a pestle and mortar
Pound away like a loon
Add your avocado and a tablespoonful of lime juice

Taste it and fiddle with the proportions until you're happy. If you're a salt fiend, however, hold off adding any more salt until you've tried it with whatever you're having with it (probably salty!) 

I scooped mine right out of the mortar with tortilla chips  I also definitely just had to google which is the pestle and which is the mortar.
I actually made the chips myself, which you obviously don't have to (I love doritos) but I didn't have any. I did have some stale tortillas, an oven and bacon bits. Yes, that is correct. I chopped up bacon, sprinkled it on an oven tray, baked them a little to release some grease and baked my tortilla wedges in bacon fat. Apparently this might be immodest.
It was also blooming lovely x






No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know you were here x